Julie Clarke is
Julie Clarke is Trusted
Julie Clarke is experienced
Julie is professionally trained, as a Childbirth and Parenting educator and group facilitator.
The course content Julie provides is in line with current evidence based research.
Learning is an ongoing process and continuing her professional education is a pleasure.
You can rest assured that you are getting the most current information as her knowledge is constantly being updated and includes the latest evidence based studies.
a passion and a calling
“Helping pregnant couples navigate their way from pregnancy, active birthing and attachment parenting is my passion.”
There is not a type of birth Julie has not attended, over 150 so far and counting.
Julie’s courses are practical and factual.
Julie understands pregnancy is a deeply human experience, which is why couples feel at home in her classes and no longer afraid as they are informed, confident and more bonded as a couple.
Julie ‘s credentials
Childbirth Education and Training Roles
- Independent Childbirth and Parenting Educator in registered business “Transition Into Parenthood” pre-natal classes.
- Breath Awareness, Relaxation and Mindful Course practitioner since 2006
- Qualified with Community Organisation Parents Centres Australia.
- Advanced Childbirth Educator and Trainer with the National Association of Childbirth Educators (NACE) National Editor of the “Interaction” Journal of the National Association of Childbirth Educators, since 2003
- Supervisor for the Associates in Childbirth Education training for Graduate Diploma Students (VETAB Accredited)
- Doula: Professional birth support person at more than 150 births. Including Delivery Suite, Birth Centre, Operating Theatre, Homebirths and Water Births.
- Consumer Representative for Maternity for the SESAHS South Eastern Sydney Area Health Service
Childbirth related Maternity Committees
- The Sutherland Hospital Birth Centre Development Committee 2003/4/5
- UTS Bachelor of Midwifery Planning Committee 2003/4
- St George Hospital Homebirth Development Committee
- Certified HypnoBirthing ® Instructor since May 2004
- Former Karitane post natal depression telephone support counselor
- Former trainer and presenter at “Doula Express” in Sydney for doulas – professional birth support)
- Presenter at national conferences around Australia (see below)
- Regularly attends conferences, seminars and workshops to remain up-to-date.
- Convener of the St George and Sutherland Shire Homebirth Support Group
Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond Newborn Babies Other Qualifications
- Management Diploma Gymea TAFE 1986
- PCA Breastfeeding Counsellors Course, 1988
- PCA Childbirth Educators Course, 1989 (12 months part-time course)
- Karitane Mothercraft Society Post-natal Depression Telephone Support Counsellors, 1990 (conducted by Ms Kerry Lockhart, Deputy Director of Karitane, 6 week short course)
- CERT IV Workplace Training, October – December 2002
- Certified HypnoBirthing® Practitioner Training, May 2004 (conducted with midwife and hypnotherapist Peter Jackson, HypnoBirthing Practitioner and Trainer for Australia)
Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond Newborn Babies Seminars and conferences attended
- Parents Centres Australia (PCA) Conference, Macquarie University, 1986
- Legal, Ethical & Social Issues Pertaining to Childbirth Conference, Sydney University, 1989
- Nursing Mother’s Assoc. of Aust. Conference, Melbourne, 1989
- Parents Centres Australia Workshop for Educator’s and Midwives, RHW Paddington, 1989
- Associates in Childbirth Education Workshop “Presentation Skills for Educators”, 1990
- Associates in Childbirth Education Workshop “Coping with Grief – Educators and Parents”, 1990
- Associates in Childbirth Education Workshop “Waterbirth – Dr Michel Odent”, 1990
- Associates in Childbirth Education Workshop “Teaching Skills for Childbirth Educators”, 1991
- 2nd International Homebirth Conference Sydney University, 1992, featuring Sheila Kitzinger, Janet Balaskas, Dr. Marsden Wagner, Ina May Gaskin
- RHW Workshop for CBEs and Midwives – Update on Birth Centre Philosophy , 1993
- National Association of Childbirth Educators (NACE) Conference, “Into the Future” , 1994
- National Association of Childbirth Educators (NACE) Workshop, “Childbirth Education – Choices”
- Nursing Mother’s Assoc. of Australia (NMAA) Conference, “Breastfeeding“ , featuring Professor Peter Hartman, 1996
- Childbirth and Parenting Educational and Resource Service (CAPERS) Teaching Skills Course, Sydney, 1997
- Independent Educators Workshop with Swedish Pediatrician Lennart Righartd on Bonding and Attachment Early Parenting, 1998
- Royal Women’s Hospital Waterbirth Seminar by the Birth Centre Midwives, 1999
- Homebirth Australia National Conference, Byron Bay, 1999
- Associates in Childbirth Education (ACE) Seminar “Enhancing Midwifery”, 2000, featuring Pat Brodie, Lynne Staff and Nicky Leap
- Bi-monthly workshops throughout 1999/2000 with the Independent Childbirth Educators Alliance, skill sharing
- South Eastern Health Workshop “Raising Child Protection Issues in Parenting Education Programs”, Lynne Clune, 2000
- South Eastern Health Basic Training for Childbirth and Parenting Educators
- South Eastern Health Mentor Training by Lynne Clune and Jane Svensson, 2001
- Midwives Association Seminar, held at RHW, “Women and Violence”, 2002
- South Eastern Health Lactation Department seminar “Breastfeeding”, 2002
- International Lactation Consultants Conference, Sydney , 2003
Training / talks / presentations provided: Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond Newborn Babies
- Julie regularly welcomes student midwives, student childbirth educators, and student doulas attending her ante-natal preparation courses
- Conducted a 2 day seminar at Tamworth for the New England Area Health Service, “Making Groups Work”, for midwives and childbirth educators in the region, focusing on adult education, group dynamics and facilitator skills, 2002
- Conducted 2 day seminars at Tamworth and also Armidale for the New England Area Health Service, February 2003 and May 2003
- Speaker on “Fatherhood Issues” at the April 2001 NACE Conference and also at the CAPERS Conference as well as presenting the “Fatherhood Issues” activity. Very well received at both conferences.
- Presenter at the ACE Grad Dip Course 6 day workshop held in Sydney in 2002, 2003, 2004 and again in 2005. Topics included “How to Present Parenting in Groups” and “Facilitating Groups”.
- Presenter at the Birth International Conference in Auckland New Zealand March, 2008. Topics: “Teaching Birth: Reducing Fear” and “Parenting 101″
- Presenter at the Birth International Conference in Novotel, Brighton, Sydney, Australia March, 2008. Topics: “Starting a Childbirth Education Practice” and “Giving Birth”.
Julie's most important, qualification gained from over 3 decades of dedication
An adoring mum to 2 sons, Ken and Ryan. Both boys born using all the natural active techniques, pain medication free, instead utilising all the breathing, relaxation, mindfulness skills and with the loving support of her husband Geoff.
"Because of Julie and these classes I went into our birth confident and unafraid and was able to have a drug free natural birth with no tearing or trauma."
"This is the most valuable course you will ever do. I am now really looking forward to giving birth without any fear."
"My husband and I completed the Mindful Birth course with Julie before recently welcoming our son into the world. Julie oozes experience and had an engaging teaching style that we enjoyed and we certainly felt at ease with her"
"After a traumatic 2nd birth, I had all but decided I wanted a cesarean. We enrolled in Julie’s course, and listened to the CD nightly while falling asleep. When I went in to labour, I visualised, remained calm and centered and less than an hour later my 3rd son entered the world, and breastfed straight away. "
"I was a little skeptical going in but after just the first day I felt more confident, relaxed and empowered about labour and birth. The course promoted me and my husband to have the direct and honest conversations we needed to plan for that day with a calm and pragmatic approach and clarity on what we want. "
Contact Julie Clarke for a friendly chat
Ask a question below.