When you Apply to do the Birth and Post Natal Doula Training Course Here’s what you Need to Know About the role of the Doula Academy of Australia
Julie Clarke (Doula Trainer) has been transforming the lives of pregnant couples for over 30 years through her dedicated commitment to her work as a doula and her popular antenatal “Transition into Parenthood” and Hypnobirth courses from her studio at Sylvania, Sydney.
Currently Julie is sharing her vast knowledge with women young and old, mothers or not, experienced or not so they too can enable pregnant women to have a positive, natural, safe, healthy, and very satisfying birth experience to welcome their precious new baby into their life.
Julie’s trained Doulas play a significant role in Australia in the support of all women and partners, as they prepare during their pregnancy to birth their baby, Doulas work to deliver excellent outcomes for pregnant couples.
We are looking for positive women 16+ who will, in their own creative way, contribute to shaping the future of Doulas in Australia’s future, as we move towards a new phase of its growth.
BIRTH DOULA ROLE SUMMARY
This is a flexible, part-time or full time, hands-on role. You will be working with either pregnant couples, whole families, single mothers-to-be, to provide guidance towards building a safe, healthy, positive, enriching birth and early days of parenting experience.
The initial focus will be on analysing the needs of the pregnant woman, identifying her existing support base followed by the development and implementation of a birth plan to fulfill her preferences.
The role is varies from a half day or more per week with an average payment of $1,000 per birth – varies according to skill set, level of experience, the population group you are working with.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR BIRTH DOULAS
- Complete the education training – choose from either short course 3 – 4 days or spread out over weeks or months depending on your other commitments.
- Optional: to consider volunteering for friends, relatives, low income, refugees or other woman who need the support from a knowledgeable person (this is not compulsory)
- Raise awareness among your community of the role of a Doula through small workshops, display at local markets, distribution of brochures.
- Seek business partnerships through prospecting and research,
- Look for opportunities to integrate corporate sponsors for your financial wellbeing
- Meet or exceed the expectations of your clients
- Identify future sources of community education about the role of the Doula through providing talks at Church groups or Public and Private Schools to children so they grow up informed of the importance of providing respect, physical and emotional support to pregnant women in an environment of sensitivity and inclusion.
BIRTH DOULA SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
Preferred for Doula candidates to have:
- Life experience in a way which has increased your sense of empathy and compassion for women; especially pregnant women,
- enthusiasm to learn
- Ability to think and plan
- A person with some research and organisational skills with attention to detail.
- Be thorough and dedicated
We look very favourably upon candidates who have knowledge & experience in the following areas:
- Great researcher.
- Willing to be hands-on if needed
- Knowledge & experience
- Social media & website
- Friends/Giving Circles
- Copy writing skills
- Access to Doula conferences, workshops and more
- A growing, supportive, experienced community of Doulas across Australia
- Work and Life Balance is essential part of what we are
- You can see first hand the impact your work has on the lives you’ve touched
Our mission is to enrich the lives of pregnant women by connecting them to the transformative power of giving birth with good emotional and physical support to enable them to commence the journey of motherhood in an empowered confident strong way.
WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO FOR BIRTH DOULAS
Because voice – Doulas need support which is wise, safe, healthy, non judgmental, focused on their needs – not the hospitals – to develop their instincts, intuition, values their ideas and aspires to produce the highest quality birth outcomes
Because tribe – Doulas want and need a safe place to fit in, to find their feet, and their place in the world.
Because creativity – Doulas need a place to create, learn and explore
Because art – Doulas deserve access to the highest quality experience and process.
Because imagination – Doulas deserve a place to imagine and re-imagine the world they live in, especially in the Western world where we need to re-think how women are treated.
Because spirit – because the Doula Academy of Australia engenders and emboldens the spirit of Doulas
WHAT WE ASPIRE TO DO
To inspire more women to engage with supporting, encouraging and lifting up each other through Doula work
Transition into Parenthood Courses which is one of the longest running birth and parenting preparation course providers, commencing in 1989.
It has been a unique part of Sydney’s community for 30 years, originally as active birth courses suitable for birthing at birth centres.
WHAT WE DO
Education, training, mentoring, think tank workshops, collaboration, creative visualisation and imagination will be at the forefront of skills required for an enlightened world
To magnify and amplify the stories and questions of our world.
The Doula Academy asks its participants to imagine the possibilities within the world they have grown up in; to think artistically, critically and creatively, and be active global citizens.
- provides continuous guidance beyond the usual training period both with the home study course and the face to face course
- provides vital professional work opportunities for Australian Doulas
- creates a supportive environment where women work together towards a common goal and the mentorship
- is an accessible and inclusive organisation which fosters womens expression and educates Australia’s future professional Doulas
How to apply for this role
- Resume, or a personal history of your experiences, your aims and goals, your ideas on how the training would best suit you over a cluster of days or spread out weekly
- Phone call to Julie’s mobile 0401265530
- Cover letter including: a) why you would be a good fit for the role b) why you would like to be a doula
Please send the information to [email protected]